Thursday, May 17, 2012

I sing the body electric: Walt Whitman and the Beat Generation Poets in chamber music and song



New Music New York is excited to announce their latest project,
I sing the body electric: Walt Whitman and Beat Generation Poets
 in Chamber music and song
Tuesday June 12, 2012 at 8 pm
Saint Peter's Church @ Citicorp, located at 54th Street and Lexington Avenue (Manhattan)
Suggested donation is $20

Plans are now under way for our next concert, "I sing the body electric:  Walt Whitman and Beat Generation. " We just confirmed string bass player Mort Cahn and violinist Allyson Clark, and are thrilled to have them both with us for this next musical adventure! They are among the new faces that will be with us for this project, along with baritone Phillip Cheah http://www.phillipcheah.com/ as well as composer, producer and baritone Dennis Tobinski http://www.dennistobenski.com, who will be with us to reprise songs by David del Tredici and Tom Cipullo, which he performed with New Music New York at a Beat Generation conference at St. Francis College in February of 2010.

Hot off the presses are two world premiere song by New York based composer David Sisco  http://www.davidsisco.com for tenor and piano; in addition we are premiering 8 other vocal chamber ensembles! It's going to be a blow out concert, we are hoping to see new and old friends joining us on what is sure to be an amazing event.

 It's my first time exploring the poems of the Beats. I am now closely reading our great poet Walt Whitman, and its enough to make me glow with pride during these trying times in our nation.  Despite the pervasive greed of our free market system, the wacky elections that lay ahead of us, etc...reading these dudes makes me realize that despite it all, there will always be an undying spirit, which seems to be part of our DNA, that will shout and will not be stomped out.

Make sure to hold June 12 in your calender folks!

 I leave you with a  quote from Beat Generation poet, Diane DiPrima's, from her  Three laments:

So here I am the coolest in New York
what dont swing I dont push


In some Elysian field
by a big tree
I chew my pride
like cud.



New Music New York
I sing the body electric: Walt Whitman and The Beat Generation Concert
in chamber music and song
Tuesday June 12, 2012 at 8 pm
Saint Peter's Church @ Citicorp, located at 54th Street and Lexington Avenue (Manhattan)
Suggested donation is $20

No comments:

Post a Comment